As I was watching Sarah Geronimo’s latest Sunsilk commercial, the one where she’s having a singing showdown with another ABS-CBN talent, I looked back on all the memorable Pinoy TV commercials for me. Then I created a forum in Ulayaw and asked my friends what they think are the most memorable Pinoy TV commercials. Here’s the results:
- Camella Homes — The “Bulilit” commercial featuring that adorable little kid who is now in ABS-CBN’s Going Bulilit gag show.
- Nescafe — Let’s Sit and Talk Awhile concept. They feature these beautiful couples that you just can’t take your eyes off.
- Sprite — “Are You In Heat?” This is the commercial that made Ryan Agoncillo and Patricia Javier famous.
- Bearbrand — “Look at the Mole.” It’s cute that the little boy danced with his lola. It represents Filipino family values that we should continue to uphold.
- Nestle Ice Cream “Sinong Bestfriend mo doon? Syempre’ ikaw lang!” This is definitely a hit among friends.
- PLDT — “Suportahan Taka.” The commercial that launched the career of the super hot Christian Vasquez. Need I say more?
- McDonald’s — “Karen” A bittersweet commercial if I ever saw any. It upholds Filipino family values like the Bearbrand commercial.
- Jollibee – “Isa pa, Isa pang Chickenjoy.” Many talented young stars we have today got their break from commercials like this. Serena Dalrymple got her big break here.
- Purefoods Hotdog — “Goodbye Carlo.” I still remember the entire diary entry she wrote here. Patrick Garcia was featured in this commercial.
- Dragon Katol — My good friend Vince liked this very much. “Lamok, siguradong tepok.”
While we’re on the subject of commercials, I’d like to comment on Xenical’s, one of the safe diet pills around, latest commercial. It featured a guy which, to my opinion, is really gender sensitive. I’ve been sick and tired of watching weight loss commercials featuring big women when there are a lot of big men walking around with their bulging potbellies. It’s time that they become the blunt of this society’s fixation on getting thin.