15 Memorable Scenes from Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2
On July 13, 2011, SM Southmall opened the doors of its IMAX theater for the first time and what better way to introduce audiences to a better film viewing experience than by screening the last installment of the Harry Potter films, Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows. After watching the short presentation about the IMAX experience during the second part of the press conference, I became really excited to watch the movie in IMAX 3D. Testimonials such as “pictures jump out in front of you” and ”it doesn’t get better than this” made this sci-fi lover all atwitter.
My IMAX Experience
And the testimonials were true. Pictures did jump out of the screen. The audio was superb. And in that final moment when You Know Who burst in to what appeared to be ashes, you can almost touch it. The promoters didn’t lie: I was immersed in images and sound while watching the film. A truly great experience.
Now, back to the movie. Blame it on Harry Potter being on most scenes, but there are few scenes involving him that stood out for me. Most of the scenes that I “LIKED” (as if I could like them while the film is showing) featured Neville LongBottom, a testament to the adage that there’s no small roles, only small actors. Here are my fave scenes:
- Neville walking forward to Lord Voldemort when the latter called on the students and teachers of Hogwarts to join his forces.
- Helena Ravenclaw shouting at Harry Potter. (Scary)
- Neville cutting Nagini’s head off with a the Gryffindor sword. Such a heroic scene.
- The dragon stumbling in his attempts to fly. Poor creature.
- Neville asking Harry where Luna is. “I’m mad about her,” he says. I didn’t suspect a thing!
- Ron and Hermione calling each other brilliant. I counted three such incidents. Talk about mutual admiration.
- Mrs. Weasely fighting with Bellatrix. Worried mum trumps crazy b…. woman.
- Ron and Hermione kissing. Finally!
- Professor McGonagall saying “I always wanted to try that spell” like a girl after making the stone guards move. A break from the intensity of the film.
- Students and wizards creating a shield over Hogwarts. Impressive!
- Harry and Ginny kissing. The hero gets the girl!
- Neville appearing in the painting and leading Harry into the Gryffindor common room. Nev to the rescue.
- Professor McGonagall instructing Mr. Filch to lead the Slytherin students to the dungeon. Show them who’s boss professor!
- Professor McGonagall battling off Hogwarts Headmaster Snape. I clapped on this one.
- Last scene on King’s Cross Station where older Harry, Hermione, Ron and Draco are saying goodbye to their children. Did you see Ron’s paunch?